Thursday, November 11, 2010

Connection: Humanities to Psychology

So far, a quarter of the school year (in addition to a couple of weeks) has passed -- which means that there are only 3 quarters left of high school!! However, this year is not a bundle of joy as everyone makes it seems. Yes the school year as a whole is great, but the work part isn't that great. My schedule is so full that I don't even have a lunch this year! I'm taking soo many classes, but all these classes are informative and I feel like many of them intertwine and connect to each other -- such as Humanities and AP Psychology.

While I'm taking these two courses, I constantly see connections between the two. If I learn something from psych, the same concept comes up a couple of periods later in Humanities class.

For example, when I learning about the brain and all it's structures and functions, my teacher, as well as the textbook, mentioned that "the brain is like a computer." In other words, the functions of the brain are similar to those of a computer; storing information, deleting "files", updating our "hard-drive", taking external information from an outside source and interpreting that information, and the like. However, when we discussed this concept in Humanities, my teacher from that class completely disagreed with that metaphor. He claims that the brain and a computer are two completely different, separate things and that those two concept are clearly not the same.

Currently we're reading and discussing about the book Sophie's World in Humanities class and the majority of the book is consisted of philosophy. And even though a lot of these ideas are about the purpose of life, in psychology class we're discussing about consciousness. These two things might be different concepts of each other, but they both lead to an enigma of why humans are placed on earth and what happens in the afterlife. Psychologists haven't discovered where the conscious derives from our body and philosophers aren't 100% sure if there is a spirit separate from the body. This is one of the unanswered questions both philosophers and psychologists are still trying to figure out and they won't give up anytime soon.

I like the fact that I'm taking both Humanities and AP Psychology this year because not only do I learn about one idea, fact, or concept twice, but I receive the opportunity of learning these topics in two completely different perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment