Sunday, September 26, 2010

Metacognition: Hands-On vs. Keyboard


As I reflect upon my work for the past 3 years of high school, I begin to realize how my approach to a project completely differs as to an essay. If I get assigned a 10 page research paper that's due in a month, I'd probably end up starting the actual essay the week before it's due; if I get assigned an interview project for a history class, I'd begin planning it a day or two after it's been assigned.

My attitude towards projects is much more positive than essays, therefore I prefer doing much more hands-on and physical assignments. I believe that they're more enjoyable to do and it's pretty easy for me to plan them. I generally set separate deadlines for myself in order to be organized and to have control of the assignment. Classes such as Clothing, Interior Design, Business, MedTech, Photography and Art include numerous of physical/hand-on projects, such as making a dress or a house design, or a business plan, or a medical informing Powerpoint. My participation and grades in those types of classes probably exceed since I love participating in them.

On the contrary, due to the fact that  I don't enjoy writing essays that much, I end up procrastinating on them. Even though there are ENORMOUS disadvantages on typing up an essay at the last minute, there is one advantage that I have from doing that. Usually when I wait until 2-3 days before the assignment is due, I write better. I like writing on the spot since that's when I'm in the mood to write and I can go on and on without going beyond the point. Regardless of teachers disliking that form of planning, I've grown used to my own system of organization and that's how I'll do it probably for the rest of my life since it works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment